There are variations in lateral raise machines. Many are seated machines, but you may either face the machine or sit with your back to the weight stack. The target muscle of a lateral raise machine is the deltoid.
Lateral raise machines are the best substitute to doing lateral and side dumbbell raise. This machine will isolate the side deltoids during resistance training for building muscle and increasing strength in the shoulders. You will also be able to reduce stress on the rest of your body that you are not targeting.
One common problem trainers see in lateral raise exercises is shoulders shrugging up. So remember, keep those shoulders down and form is more important than weight.
Follow these steps
- Sit in the lateral raise machine while keeping your core tight and back flat.
- Grab and secure the handles of the machine.
- Slowly, extend your arms up and out to the side.
- Feel the tension in your shoulders, pause at the top, and slowly return to the starting position.
- Do not allow the weight stack to touch.
- Repeat the movement.
See you at your FSC Sports Club!