This month, we introduced you to Bonnie, the Queen of Zumba!
We sat down with Bonnie and asked her a few questions, and here is what she had to say.
1) How did you get started in the fitness industry?
I started taking dance classes with my pastor’s wife when I was 8 years old. As I got older, I taught ballroom dance, then later was a member of a dance company in Myrtle Beach. After many years of non-dance, I realized something was missing and then I found Zumba®! Before you know it, I was an instructor and have been teaching for 9 fun years!
2) What are you most proud of?
* Adding certifications to my record: Yoga, Kick Boxing, Pilates
*Additional licensing with Zumba®: Zumba Kids and Zumba Gold
3) What has been 1 of the biggest accomplishments of your career?
Bringing fun fitness to people of all ages and making great friends
4) What has been 1 of the biggest challenges you have faced in your career?
No doubt the Pandemic has been the biggest challenge! Not being able to do what we love in person has been heartbreaking. But we’re back! With that comes the mask challenge. There are two sides – the ones that want to wear them while working out and have no breathing problems doing so, while others have problems breathing in them and can’t wear them so, therefore, stay home.
5) What is 1 lesson you have learned that other fitness professionals can learn from?
Watch your students closely. Listen to your students. Be sure to provide options for those who cannot do certain moves.
6) What are your main motivations for teaching/training?
I enjoy it! It’s my stress relief too! It’s so nice to watch the body changes of my students over time and it’s rewarding when I can get some smiles and some laughter from them during class. It really is fun and I’ve made some of my best friends in Zumba® class.
Remember, if you are interested in joining Bonnie’s Zumba Class at Riverwood during the month of April, her classes are Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 6pm.